Once upon a time, I was introduced to WAYSKIN, a skin analyser. Then I found out it costs like £90 to buy one, so I thought, "I will buy a bootleg skin analyser off Amazon and see how it is". And thus this 2 pronged USB looking thing above came into my life.
In this day and age of big data, beauty sure have found a way to embrace it and bring it to its consumers rather than let data sit with companies for CRM and analysing purchasing patterns. It gives consumers an insight into your own skin and advise what you should be using, what your condition factually is rather than what it feels like on your skin. Theoretically, this is genius.
Does this bootleg version work though? You know what, I'm not too sure but I can honestly tell you that the more I use this device, the more I am willing to spend £90 on the OG skin analyser. Why? Here's a break down of my readings for my skin throughout my evening routine from showering through to completing my PM routine and in the morning
- Before shower: 32%
late evening, no makeup (because I have been lazy and stayed home all day, because it's the weekend and I am a hermit and I can)
- Immediately after shower: 41%:
I am assuming that this is because of the steam in the air
- After brushing my teeth and drying my hair: 36%
now that the skin has dried out a little after doing a couple of other things, it logically makes sense for the skin to lose moisture
- After washing and patting dry my face: 55%
This is where it gets a little iffy because this definitely does not feel like my skin was at 55% moisture after this. Although the products I use for double cleansing don't dry my skin out. The 55% I believe comes from splashing water on my face
- Immediately after masking and patting the rest of the serum in: 55%
And this is where I feel more dubious about this skin analyser, because why would it be at the same % as after I washed all the oil and dirt off my face? Surely it will be more. Unless this bootleg skin analyser is incapable of going over 55%...
- Immediately after applying face cream: 54%
It's lost 1% in the 10 seconds I applied my face cream, which by the way is very hydrating and thick, so again, suspicions...
- The morning before cleansing my AM routine: 36%
It's been lower before (23%) so I guess that the face cream I use (Huxley!!) is great for locking in the moisture in the skin
- Immediately after the 7-skin method: 56%
I don't normally do this, but I did it today and it turns out that my skin analyser goes beyond 55%. I don't know how to feel any more
- Immediately after applying steam cream 54%
Again, how does skin lose 2% immediately after applying cream...?
So here are my thoughts. If you are going to get a skin analyser, don't get a bootleg one like I did because the more I use it, the more I yearn for the actual technology. Wayskin, I am saving my pennies for you!
From the information on Cult Beauty and on their website, the technology in the WAYSKIN device seems to be more sophisticated and collects way more data than this bootleg one does. Whilst it's already pretty clear, I don't recommend buying a bootleg one - it won't tell you much or enough for you to make decisions to what products you should be using, what products is having what impact and etc. So I can't wait for the day I finally take the plunge and get the WAYSKIN device to embrace beauty and big data - beauty has always been closely knitted with technology and science with the different types of products that they launch and how they related to our skin, and being someone highly intrigued with big data, I look forward to using it in my everyday life.
BONUS: my full, FULL, PM routine
Okay, it's a little misleading, but it's been a while so I thought I'd share my latest FULL ON evening routine for those days where I feel I have very dull skin, and when it's time to exfoliate!
- First Step Cleansing: The Saem Rice Cleansing Cream
- Second Step Cleansing: Skin Watchers Enzyme Powder Wash
- Exfoliation: The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
- "Detox" masking: Mudmasky Facial Detox Purifying Recovery Mask
- Toner: Heimish Refresh Water
- Serums and Ampoules: The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1%, Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, and Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule (I switch this up depending on how I feel that night)
- Sheet-masking: Haruharu moisture mask (absolutely loving this at the moment!)
- Eye Cream: Benton Fermentation Eye Cream
- Face Cream: Huxley Anti-Gravity Cream (which by the way, currently EMPTIED and I am denying this truth by constantly sticking my finger in the pot to get any little bit of cream that's left...)
- Sleeping mask: goodal Waterest Vital Sleeping Pack (not pictured because I actually forget this pretty often)
As you can probably already tell, most of these products are not new and I've talked about them before, but if you are curious to any product here, please let me know and I can do a review/write up about it :)
And breathe! Til next week!